Bucharest, March 1st, 2016: Holcim Romania will donate 190,000 kilograms of cement in 2016, the equivalent of 4,760 40-kg bags, for the construction and renovation programs conducted by Habitat for Humanity Romania.
Cement will be directed to six wide-scope projects developed by the organization in several localities across the country, in support of families with low incomes or to control some water streams meant to protect houses and households.
“Holcim Romania has decided to get involved, also this year, in supporting social projects in Romania, as part of the company’s sustainable development strategy. The 2016 collaboration between us and Habitat for Humanity Romania was born from the desire to engage Holcim fans in the online environment in a charitable initiative. We thank our fans for having successfully gathered the 4,760 cement bags and reassure them that their effort would be rewarded by the joy of the families in the communities where our partners and volunteers will move things to the better for Romania”, declared Alina Cristea, Sustainable Development Manager Holcim Romania.
“Over 5 million Romanians live in poor conditions. We are happy that, together with Holcim Romania, we will lay the foundation for a better life for 1,200 families. We thank the company and all those who got involved on Facebook and made this donation possible”, declared Iolanda Burtea, Corporate Fundraising Manager, Habitat for Humanity Romania.
The 190,000 kilograms of cement will be used in six social projects conducted by Habitat for Humanity Romania:
- 520 bags in Moinești (Bacău County), for the construction of two duplexes benefiting four families.
- 1,000 bags in Ploiești (Prahova County), for the construction of a four-unit building, benefiting four families.
- 2,200 bags in Mediaș (Sibiu County), for the renovation of a building in order to be turned into a vocational training center and the construction of a building with 15 apartments for persons from vulnerable groups.
- 600 bags in localities from Moldova, in flood-exposed areas, for the consolidation of the flood protection elements: flood sewage ditches, discharge pipes, protection wall cant, fencing foundation cant.
- 280 bags in Gorj County, for a family with eight children, whose house is in an advanced state of degradation.
- 160 bags in Olt, Dolj and Gorj Counties, for the rehabilitation of the houses of 260 extremely poor families and the renovation of two schools in vulnerable communities.
Holcim Romania thus continues the series of projects started on its official Facebook channel, by engaging the online community in support of the local communities. In April 2015 the company rehabilitated the sports field of the most important college from Focșani, after the pupils of this school won the competition “Holcim awards your school with an A+ sports field!”, launched also on Facebook. By means of this competition, pupils and teachers across the country have raised awareness on a real need of the Romanian schools: lack of infrastructure for sports fields. This was also the reason why Holcim Romania decided to go further, launching the challenge to recondition a sports field to other companies as well, under the umbrella of the campaign: “Holcim hands you the rally of good deeds”.
More details about the initiative and the list of schools with fields requiring rehabilitation can be accessed on Holcim website: www.holcim.ro/itipredastafeta.html
About Holcim Romania
Holcim (Romania) S.A. owns 2 cement plants in Campulung and Alesd, one grinding station and a cement terminal in Turda, 14 environment-friendly ready-mixed concrete plants, 3 aggregates plants, 2 special binders plants and one cement terminal in Bucharest. Holcim (Romania) S.A. employs around 800 people. For additional information, please visit the company’s website at www.holcim.ro and the official Facebook page: www.facebook.com/holcimromania
Holcim is one of the leading providers of cement and aggregates (sand and gravel), concretes and asphalt, as well as related services. The Group owns minority and majority interests in around 70 countries on all continents.
About Habitat for Humanity Romania
Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization present in 70 countries with the mission to eradicate poor living conditions. Habitat for Humanity Romania builds, rehabilitates, provides consultancy and technical support and develops energy-efficiency and disaster prevention and response programs for vulnerable groups. It has been present in Romania for 20 years, having helped over 64,000 people to have a better place to live. www.habitat.ro
- Infografic_Holcim_EN-01.jpg3.3 M