The accession of Romania to European Union brought challenges to which Holcim Romania responds through its commitment of promoting, maintaining and applying a strong environment policy aligned to the standard international policy of the Holcim Group. Continuous improvement of environmental management system, according to ISO 14001:2004, proves the implementation of this commitment.
More than that, the environmental management system is certified once every three years and monitored annually for all working locations by TUV Rheinland, a certification body known worldwide.
We are permanently looking new solutions for environmental protection and investing large amounts of money in developing new environmental efficient products and processes.
- Reducing atmospheric emissions by promoting and implementing best available techniques
- Rational utilization of non-renewable natural resources and development of waste co-processing (energy and material recovery)
- Delivery of low environmental impact products
- Rehabilitation of industrial brown fields
Environmental Friendly Concrete Plants
Holcim is the first cement, concrete and aggregates producer to develop for Romania the concept of "Environmentally Friendly Concrete Plant". Holcim experience in over 700 concrete plants around the world demonstrates that the new concept is according the latest standards of environmental protection.
- Minimum dust emissions
- Minimum noise emissions
- Recycling of fresh concrete residues
- Reusing of grey water from washing concrete trucks
Cement plants modernization
Implementing the cement industry best available techniques into Holcim cement plants assures:
- Permanent control of emissions through continuous monitoring system from clinker kilns chimneys
- Process automation
- Installing and periodical replacing of modern dust filters
- Investing into installations for selective non-catalytic reduction of NOx and into low NOx emission burners
- Natural resources preservation by partial substitution of traditional fuels and raw materials with the alternative ones from waste (co-processing of waste into cement production process)
All of these have contributed to the alignment with limits imposed by European Union legislation (transposed into the Romanian one) and integrated environmental permits obtained for Ciment Alesd and Ciment Campulung plants.
Environmental efficient products
Developing environmental efficient products with low CO2 footprint represents for Holcim Romania a proof of assumed responsibility for continuously improving the efficiency of products and processes, natural resources preservation.
Utilization of composite cements and extension of their application into concretes in Romania represents also the subject of project “Concrete with composite cements - a sustainable energy efficient and climate change fighting solution in construction industry”
The efforts made by Holcim Romania into increasing energy efficiency and reducing carbon footprint of production processes, products, as well as for the constructions built with these products, were recognized at European level by accepting as official partner in “Sustainable Energy Europe” campaign initiated by European Commission.
Holcim Romania provides environmental services to waste generators through waste co-processing, as alternative fuels and raw materials in cement manufacturing process.
The environmental services are offered in partnership with ecovalor company. This company is assuring the direct connection with waste generators, specialized consultancy and also collection, transport and pre-treatment of this waste in order to optimize the co-processing activity.
This method, frequently used worldwide for waste treatment into controlled conditions and total security, has a triple advantage from environmental protection point of view: waste elimination, natural resources preservation and reduction of greenhouse gases emissions which could result if this waste would be treated by landfiling or incineration into incinerators.