Holcim (Romania) registered good results last year, in terms of financial and operational performance. According to preliminary data, the turnover of the company in 2005 was of about RON 600 million (EUR 166 million), which represents a 14% increase as compared to 2004 (RON 527 million / EUR 130 million).
"Holcim (Romania) continued to make good progress in 2005, from a financial perspective and customers' satisfaction, and also in terms of environment care and extended social responsibility programs, the company had been developing. These results would not have been possible without the dedication of our wonderful team," said Markus Wirth, General Manager of Holcim (Romania).
In 2005, Holcim (Romania) invested over EUR 34 million in a series of projects regarding further modernization of the production technology, environmental protection, business development, occupational health & safety, social projects and human resources.
Some of the projects developed by the company last year are:
- the modernization of the cement plant in Campulung;
- increasing the range of waste that can be co-processed in the cement plants in Campulung and Alesd;
- launch of three new environmentally friendly concrete plants;
- introduction of a new IT system;
- programs for the professional and personal development of the employees.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & NOVELTIES
In order to better serve the needs of our customers, by offering continuously improved services and products, Holcim (Romania) launched in 2005 the tail forklift service, the truck washing facility in Campulung and three new environmentally friendly concrete plants.
As part of its commitment for transparent and open communication, the company introduced for the first time in Romania a sustainable development report and a comprehensive report on waste co-processing in cement plants.
- "Sustainable Development�- Global Challenges and local strategies": the first sustainable development report made by a company in Romania;
- "For A Sustainable Future�- Waste co-processing within the plants of Holcim (Romania)": the first comprehensive information material of its kind in Romania;
- Tail Forklift: service for downloading palette cement bags, offered to complement the distribution service;
- Truck washing facility in Campulung: fully automated washing installation for cement-trucks and flat-bed semi trailers intended to all clients and logistics contractors;
- 3 new environmentally friendly concrete plants: Brasov (August 3), Timisoara (November 2), and Targu Mures (December 7). Holcim introduced for the first time in Romania the concept of environmental friendly concrete plant by launching the first plant in Pitesti in 2001.
Holcim (Romania) is committed to the principles of sustainable development. The social responsibility has always been one of our priorities. Through all social responsibility projects, the company contributes to building a better future.
- Flood victims: out of solidarity with the victims of the floods, Holcim (Romania) donated in 2005 approximately 1,700 tons of cement for the reconstruction and renovation of schools, houses and hospitals in the flooded areas in the counties of Timis, Buzau, Teleorman, Olt and Vrancea;
- "Create Your Environment!": after the success registered in 2004, the educational project for students in primary and secondary schools from 20 cities all over Romania continued in 2005. In order to make the information from this project widely accessible, the company launched in 2005 www.ecoman.ro. The website, which is designed for the same target audience, contains information about environment care and a thematic online game. The "Create Your Environment!" project received in 2005 three prizes, awarded at the People for People Gala and at the Romanian Public Relations Awards;
- "Build Your Future": recognizing the potential of the young generation, Holcim (Romania) organized training courses dedicated to the personal development of 60 high school students in the 11th grade in Alesd, Turda and Campulung;
- Apprenticeship training center in Alesd: after successfully completing the first year in 2004, the 14 young people enrolled in 2005 the second year at the Center, which offers a three-year theoretical and practical on-the-job training program for future cement workers and technicians;
- Occupational health and safety: all work places of Holcim (Romania) went through an audit program, which certified that the occupational health and safety standards of Holcim (Romania) are in line with the standards of Holcim Group.
RECOGNITION AND AWARDS
- "The Best Community Program of a Company" for the project " Create Your Environment!", awarded at People for People Gala;
- "Golden Award for Excellence" and "Special Award for Creativity and Research", conferred at the Romanian Public Relations Awards;
- Excellency Diploma awarded at Construct Expo 2005;
- 5th best Romanian company for working conditions, as part of the "Top 50 of best Romanian companies to work for", study developed by Capital magazine;
- 19th place within the "Top 50 of processing industry", study developed by Finmedia;
- "Prize for Excellency in Environmental Protection" awarded at the Excellency Prizes Gala, organized by InterCity magazine;
- various other prizes and awards.
Holcim (Romania) S.A. is the Romanian subsidiary of Holcim Group Ltd, one of the world's leading suppliers of cement, as well as aggregates (gravel and sand), concrete and construction-related services. One of the top players in the world construction materials industry, the Group is based in Switzerland and has majority and minority interests in more than 70 countries on all continents. Holcim employs some 61,000 people operating 130 cement plants and grinding stations and over 750 ready-mixed concrete plants throughout the world. Holcim is also one of the first international players in the construction industry to have invested in Eastern Europe after 1989.
Holcim (Romania) S.A. currently operates 3 cement plants, in Turda, Campulung and Alesd, 14 environmentally-friendly ready-mixed concrete plants and 4 aggregates plants. Holcim (Romania) S.A. currently has approximately 1,300 employees. The website of the company is www.holcim.ro.